1-647-793-6407 info@h-dewatering.ca

In December 2016, The City of Toronto amended its guidelines for issuing Discharge Permits for Private Water (e.g. groundwater, surface water etc.), now requiring applicants to provide information eight to twelve weeks prior to the proposed project start date.

Sewer discharge permits/agreements are issued by the Environmental Monitoring & Protection Unit of Toronto Water. These permits/agreements are required when water not purchased from the City is discharged into the City sewer system.

Some examples of private water include:

  • groundwater
  • surface water
  • rainwater
  • stormwater
  • construction dewatering

Private water can either be discharged into the sanitary sewer or storm sewer. Private water discharged into either sewer system must meet the bylaw limits specific to that sewer system but private water discharged to the sanitary sewer also requires treatment, therefore a separate fee is applied to the volume of private water being discharged.

Discharge permits are issued for short-term discharge, such as a construction site temporarily drawing on groundwater.

As per the Sewers Bylaw, in order to issue a discharge approval, information relating to the quality and quantity of the discharge must be provided to Toronto Water a recommended eight to twelve weeks prior to the proposed start of discharge, using the Private Water Discharge Approval Application. The application form must be completed and sent to pwapplication@toronto.ca for review.

Construction wastewater is any non-purchased city water (private water) that is running off a construction site and this includes:

  • Groundwater
  • Rain water
  • Muddy water
  • Collected water
  • Runoff water

Construction wastewater requires an approved discharge permit from the City. If construction debris or construction wastewater from your site gets into the storm sewer you may be fined or charged under the Sewers Bylaw (Municipal Code Chapter 681-Sewers).